The End (of the Desktop) is Nigh: July 2014
It's going to be the year of mobile. Really. This time it's really happening.
Mobile and tablets have been due to take over the world for the last decade, according to new research, it becomes a reality in July 2014.
Analytics firm, Intelligent Positioning surveyed 175m visits across 10 websites examining the share of desktop versus mobile traffic.
Key findings from the research are:
- Mobile (tablet and smartphone) share of traffic increased from 22.8% to 37% in 2013
- Desktop’s share of traffic decreased from 77.3% to 62.9% in 2013
- Over a third of all traffic is now on a handheld mobile or tablet device
- Desktop’s share of traffic dropped significantly in August
- Tablet traffic had peaks of share in May and December
- If rates continue, then mobile and tablet visits are set to overtake desktop during summer 2014.
Although it's a relatively small sample the usage trend will surprise no one. Will 2014 be the last year that you buy a computer? According to Techcrunch columnist MG Seigler, it might be his.
What about you?