Subject: Re: NS4 (new: swLiveConnect)
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:32:11 +0100

At 11:41 AM 4/22/98, Colin Moock wrote:
>flasheratshocker [dot] com,Internet writes:
>>Yup. It seems to execute javascript and Java applets much slower than
>>3.x. I also find it annoying that they have the java engine start up at
>>load time of an applet which delays the display of the applet and the
>>rest of the page.
>
>Of course, as jd (?) posted before, if you don't use FSCommand, you can
>turn off the loading of Java using SWLIVECONNECT=FALSE in your EMBED
>tag:

Recap:

-- Netscape 4 browsers start up faster by not loading Java until they
reach the first Java-savvy page in a session.

-- Because the Flash and Director plugins can use Java via LiveConnect to
communicate with JavaScript, they'll trigger Java loading in that browser,
if it hasn't already loaded in that session.

-- Director has had a "swLiveConnect" EMBED attribute which defaults to
TRUE, and which can be set to FALSE if you do not have any externalEvent or
evalScript or play/pause/goto work in the piece. This means that if Java
has not yet started in a NS4 browser, that the shocked page will not
trigger Java loading.

-- Flash 2 does not have a swLiveConnect EMBED attribute, and so if a NS4
browser starts up and immediately goes to a Flash page, Java will load
before you see the page. (If Java has already been used in that session
then you'll just see the page normally... Java only loads once per
session.)

-- The Flash 3 plugin adds a "swLiveConnect" EMBED attribute, but it
defaults to FALSE. This means that NS4 browsers which have not yet loaded
Java in that session will not load it when they reach a Flash page.
However, if your page uses FSCommand, or if it has JavaScript send
play/pause/goto messages to the plugin, then you will need to include
"swLiveConnect=TRUE" in your EMBED tag in the HTML.

So, you don't need to include an "swLiveConnect=FALSE" in your EMBED,
because Flash 2 plugins won't recognize it and Flash 3 plugins have that as
the default anyway.

However, if you *are* using FSCommand or JavaScript buttons to control your
Flash movie, then you *will* need to include "swLiveConnect=TRUE" in your
EMBED tag so that the Flash 3 plugins can communicate with the page.

Does this phrasing work for everyone out there...?

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette