Subject: Re: Installing the New Netscape over with IE4
From: Marcantonio Magnarapa
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:38:03 +0100

Bryan,

>Have any of you had any problems installing Netscape Navigator with IE4
>already installed. I am hesitant to do this because I think Navigator or
>IE4 will do "vicious" things to each during the install.

I did it and I encountered no problems at all. The only vicious thing each
browser will try to do is setting itself up as the default browser. But you
can turn off this behaviour in both browsers.

It looks like, on a single system, Explorer 4, Netscape 3 and Netscape 4
all can coexist without problems. I have never managed, however, to install
Explorer 3: with regard to Explorer, you have to choose whose side you are
on: 3.0 or 4.0.

>If there are no problems installing Navigator with IE4, will there be any
>trouble installing both Shockwave ActiveX controls and plugins?

Not here. No interferences.

>I really would like to have both browsers on my desktop again---even if
>it is an Active Desktop.

Oh, a thing worth mentioning: I did NOT activate Active Desktop (and I'm
frightened at the idea). I don't know it deeply, but I don't think it will
cause problems anyway.

> BTW: I am running NT4---I hope this has no
>significance.

I am running Win95.

Bye! :)

Marcantonio