Subject: Re: mac vs. browsers
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:55:51 +0100

At 12:13 AM 4/23/98, Jan van Boesschoten wrote:
>- can you use css on Mac IE4 and Navigator 4
>- does the Mac handle javascript stuff easily?

Yes to both. But remember that each browser brand/version/platform combo is
different. It's good that you'll be testing your work in a variety of
viewers before delivering it. You're likely to see some small differences
in HTML rendering and interactivity with changes to each of those three
variables.

Of them all, IE4/Mac seems to behave most differently. You won't be able to
view embedded content from your hard drive (same as IE3/Mac), but when you
serve the files you'll be fine. If your pages use VBScript then you may
have wrap it up in a conditional document.write block, because IE4/Mac will
not gracefully ignore VBScript instructions.

If you have CSS-enhanced pages and wish to create a version of the pages
for the 3.0 browsers, then Dreamweaver 1.2 can help. Its "Convert to 3.0
browser" abilities not only change layers to tables, but also change
stylesheets to explicit font tags for each different text chunk. This can
save much time and effort.

If your pages use Java, then be sure to test IE/Mac with both the Microsoft
and the Apple Java Virtual Machines. (I once saw some color changes in a
Flash Java applet in IE4/Mac that were eliminated once the browser was set
to use the other VM.)

Those are some of the top things that come to mind. It's good that you're
testing your work in various viewers as you go along.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/
Luscious web graphics: http://www.macromedia.com/software/fireworks/