Subject: Re: FLASH: Salaries
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 02:04:24 +0100

> It's a hard call, education. I have some college, not much and I'm making
> twice as much as my wife, who went to an excellent private school, graduated
> with a 3.5... and a huge loan payment. Still paying $50 a month and it's
> been 6 years (paid one of already just last year that was $60/mo). So, who's
> to say. I wish I had gone to some kind of art school, and still hope to go.
I have an art degree, and some master's work (art history) though
fortunately I had parents that paid for the undergraduate stuff and enough
in scholarships (I got lots of them - that felt good :) to cover the grad
school part. It's fun, really... and you always (imo) use the education. But
the world changed a lot between the time I started college (no internet/no
pcs really-I know old swan song ;) so that I doubt it really did me much
good in the job market. When things stablize (assuming they do) that'll make
a big difference for people.

> Well, it's 5:00, time to go home and watch Batman Beyond with my son.
> Tomorrow we are going to a b-day party at Chuck E. Cheese. Got my bonus in
> the bank so we can play the Star Wars arcade game for a few hours, eating
> pizza and being happy that money ISN'T the most important thing.
No money isn't everything. But then my two oldest are teenagers and that
college stuff is staring me in the face. My parents helped me, and my dad
told me the return on that was to make sure I helped mine... and as my
parents' age I see the horrible hit medical and care expenses take on the
elderly - geez the amount of money needed just to get by reasonably, not to
be a drain on my kids when the time comes. and time just keeps marching on.
It's not everything, but I can't afford to work for free either. Being paid
a reasonable salary for providing skills that bring money to other people is
not too much to expect. Realism is important too.

Laura

flasher is generously supported by...