Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash or DHTML
From: Jason Nugent
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 14:48:32 +0100

Hi Michael,

I'm going to side with you on this one. I unfortunately don't
own a copy of Dreamweaver (yet), and hand code my dHTML, but I think it's
fantastic and incredibly powerful.
You can generate dHTML from a database without needing
generator. I do this all the time, and I think this is one of the more
important things because from the sound of it, its going to be difficult
to either find an ISP that has generator, or afford a copy on your own.
My own server uses Linux and Postgres (both of which are free) without
problems.
I can't wait until you can really combine Flash and dHTML. As
far as I know, you still can't really layer flash movies using dHTML
(because its a plugin, I suppose), which does present problems. Hopefully
the version 5 browsers will let you do this.
Sure, dHTML can be difficult to write - its mostly JavaScript.
Knowing how the DOM works takes time. The results are certainly
worthwhile though, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can really
combine the two. Imagine being able to have 10 separate Flash movies all
playing in different DHTML layers, interacting with each other.
Sweeeeet. Both technologies are useful.

Jason

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Michael Greenberg wrote:

> Hi Al,
> I really think you are missing the boat on this one. DHTML is definitely not
> dreary with Dreamweaver. I have done DHTML in BBEdit before and it is a
> nightmare. Dreamweaver makes it very simple.
>
> I see the combo of DHTML and Flash being huge. Imagine being able to layer
> your movies and so much more if you can get past the 4.0 browser limitation.
>
> Michael
>
> Michael Greenberg
> Macromedia Evangelist
>
> Shoot some sparks- http://www.getfireworks.com
> Weave the DHTML Dream - http://www.dreamweaver.com
> Everything you wanted to know about Flash,but were afraid to ask-
> http://www.flashcentral.com
> Catch The Rave- http://www.shockrave.com
> "I liked Windows 95 when Apple called it System 6.0"
>
> Carlson Leisure Group
> Project Manager of Mercavia Web Site
> http://www.enquest.com
> http://www.mercavia.com
>
> e-mail: macmikeatatl [dot] mindspring [dot] com
> mgreenbergatenquest [dot] com
>
> ----------
> >From: "William Rosetti" <alroseatwebsitepartners [dot] com>
> >To: <flasheratshocker [dot] com>
> >Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash or DHTML
> >Date: Sat, Aug 29, 1998, 6:48 PM
> >

> >I'm not really an expert but I have to say I'd use Flash every time.
> >Macromedia has made a truly visual, easy to use tool... DHTML is just
> >another dreary, time consuming, non-artistic, difficult to use excuse. Now
> >I'm not saying DHTML doesn't have it's uses. Heck it's more powerful than
> >Flash. However, Flash has it beat by a mile as far as development time and
> >final product quality. Just a few hours after I purchased Flash I was
> >already making some really cool stuff.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >Al Rosetti
> >
> >http://www.websitepartners.com

Jason Nugent, BSc(Hons)
ap958atchebucto [dot] ns [dot] ca "This is who we are."
jasonatirt [dot] org
Certified Webmaster

Visit IRT.org - Internet Related Technologies - http://www.irt.org
Articles on all aspects of internet development, including -
CGI/Perl, CSS, JavaScript, dHTML, Java, XML, HTML