Subject: FLASH: FS command not working in Netscape!
From: Matthew Doyle
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:16:13 +0100

Hi.

This is my first email to the list. My name is Matthew Doyle and I run an
online role-playing game set in the Star Wars universe. I have a shockwave
website devoted to the game (http://www.starwars-rpg.org)

The site works great in IE...but there are a few problems in Netscape.

First...and foremost:

I have an FS command on one page that calls a JavaScript form the html
document that loads up a new window to display a normal html document. This
page can be found on my site by following the buttons below, starting from
the main menu:

"The Script"
"Episode I"
"Chapter I" or "Chapter II"

Ok...it works in IE 4.0 no problem.
But in Netscape...it does nothing!!! It won't load the pages. The chapter
buttons are there and supposedly work...but it isn't loading the page.

Below is the JavaScript that the FS command is calling. If anyone can see
where there might be a problem, please let me know! I would really
appreciate it:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JavaScript>
<!--
var InternetExplorer = navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft") != -1;
// Handle all the the FSCommand messages in a Flash movie
function index_DoFSCommand(command, args) {
var indexObj = InternetExplorer ? index : document.index;
if (command == "windowopen") {
window.open(args,"Posts","width=800,height=600,history=yes,resizable=no,stat
us=no,scrollbars=yes,menubar=no,fullscreen=no,titlebar=no");
}
else if (command == "windowopen2") {
window.open(args,"Search","width=530,height=300,history=yes,resizable=no,sta
tus=no,scrollbars=yes,menubar=no,fullscreen=no,titlebar=no");
}
}
// Hook for Internet Explorer
if (navigator.appName && navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft") != -1 &&
navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows") != -1 &&
navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows 3.1") == -1) {
document.write('<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript\> \n');
document.write('on error resume next \n');
document.write('Sub index_FSCommand(ByVal command, ByVal args)\n');
document.write(' call index_DoFSCommand(command, args)\n');
document.write('end sub\n');
document.write('</SCRIPT\> \n');
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>

Another problem I'm having is that in Netscape...I have a forms page that
submits a form to my server which then send me an email of the results. In
IE...this page looks fine. But in Netscape, all of the text field blanks
are not there!!! The two radio button's I created are there...but no text
entry fields!!!!

YOu can find this page by pressing the following button on the main menu:

"Auditions"

I appreciate the help guys & gals!

Matthew Doyle

Chancellor Gad Dae'Dalus