Subject: Re: FLASH: can i define a transparency mask ?
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:08:43 +0100

At 11:21 AM 8/31/99 +0200, you wrote:

>I have to make an animation of images moving upwards.
>The problem is how i can cut the semi-hidden uppest picture.
>I cant do that by making a white box over it, because theres
>a coloured background.
>
>So I must define a transparency mask where the pictures are
>visible.

Hi Andreas,

I'm not clear on the effect you want. If by transparency mask you mean
defining a window that restricts where the graphic is visible, this is a
job for a mask in Flash. Just create a layer above the graphic that moves,
and set the layer property to mask. then draw a solid fill such as a
rectangle in the mask layer. Only objects below the rectangle will be
visible. Note: masks do not work well with outlines and they do not support
degrees of transparency, so just use a solid fill.

If you need an object to disappear behind a fuzzy edge, then you'll need to
create a regular graphic as a frame and give it a gradient from solid to
transparent.

Note you can also put a mask over parts of the background; this might help too.

In Flash4 the same mask can be userd for several layers. In Flash3 it
applies only to the layer immediately below the mask layer.