Subject: Re: FLASH: designing a clock
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:13:57 GMT

Hi Kalle and all,

> the thing is, I have the basic idea. I already have a clock that works - it
> starts with 0 ond counts up, that�s no problem. The thing is, to get the
> system-timeinto the movie. I think it coucld be done by javascript, but I�m
> not so familiar with this kind of stuff. I know the basics about how to use
> javascripts with flash - flash/js, js/flash - the problem is the script
> itself :-)

I made the Tutorial on creating a Digital Flash Clock at Anchor. Part 1
creates a timer and Part 2 converts the timer to a clock that gets it
time from the system clock using JavaScript.
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Index.htm#Tutorials
Use this link so you can also get the download files missing at Anchor
in Part 2.

There are also versions of my Flash Clocks that use Analog Displays use
the same basic techniques like my Clock at http://www.FlashTek.com/
which does not use any java applet and is a very robust Clock. I have
seen lots of Java Clocks but none that run well at full screen. Other
Flash Clocks on the Web not
based on my design tend to be inaccurate or stop after a while because
of JavaScript errors. This happens sooner and more often with 3 browsers
than 4.