Subject: Re: FLASH: 256 colors and speed
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:28:26 GMT

At 04:51 PM 2/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Thankyou for the answers about frame rate, although I think there is still
>something missing. If you set the "speed limit" to 12fps and a movie runs at
>9fps, then setting it at 9fps shoult not make it run at 6fps.

I agree there's a missing factor here and I don't think the replies on this
list have identified it.

>If I change the monitor
>settings of a computer to 256 colors and then play a movie (that played OK
>at 16 or 32 bits color) it plays A LOT slower. �why?.
>
>OK this doesnt happen always... it happens only when the movie has an object
>moving over a bitmap background or over a gradient... �anyone can explain why?

My hunch is that the processor must dither the bitmap or gradient
background from the original colors down to 256 colors. Since you have an
object moving over the background, that background image's information is
constantly changing, hence, more pixels to dither. Dithering is the process
of using several colors, side-by-side, from a more limited palette (such as
the 256 color palette), to approximate a single color from an extended
palette (such as the 16- or 32-bit palette).

Marc Hoffman