Subject: Re: FLASH: Can you Push to Flash?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:03:06 GMT

At 4:41 AM 2/28/0, Mark Abouzeid wrote:
>I have a question for the macromedia folks and any other guru. Can you send
>unsolicited messages, commands, variables to Flash? I need to design an
>instant messaging program which is not based on polling the server. We know
>how to do it with Java Messaging Service and we've heard it can be done with
>shockwave. The problem is my interface has to be Flash. Any ideas? Any
>experience with this? Can I embed a shockwave application into a flash
>interface?

Flash can pull, but I don't recall seeing an implementation where it can
respond to pushed data. Usually in such situations we set the Flash up to
periodically poll for new information.

The larger Shockwave Player includes super-duper realtime chat, though...
this is part of the reason why the Player is larger and isn't as portable
to Linux or PalmPilots or such. Shockwave can also use Flash-based artwork.

For an example of Flash art in realtime text chat, see:
http://www.multiuserzone.com/

For a free copy of the Shockwave Multiuser Server, and a 30-day Director
trial, and the tutorial "Build a Chat Site in Five Minutes", click on the
"Resources" link in the MultiUserZone.

To see various *graphical* chat sites, such as Pictionary and other drawing
games, visit Sarah Allen's pages:
http://poppy.macromedia.com/~sallen/multiuser/sites.htm

jd

flasher is generously supported by...