Subject: RE: FLASH: Can you Push to Flash?
From: GDavies
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:49:08 GMT

The security model in most browsers does not allow push. You could
implement push using a java applet and RMI calling a javascript method,
calling flash... but that would be complex and a lot of work.

I would suggest a simple poling mechanism that just polls for events. (Java
messaging service is a robust solution to push, but expensive in terms of
development and time)

I'm writing an adhoc messaging system right now with my full time job, which
performs a simple poll to find out if there is data, if there is data, I
then submit a simple http request that calls some xml and formats a div tag
containing the messages. One of the main reasons for not having push to a
client is the size of the client, it ends up being pretty fat, also session
recovery becomes an issue (if a registered client, looses its connection).

I can probably guide you on push pull technologies, as this is my area of
expertise, but maybe off the forum. I would not recommend trying to use
FLASH for push, but pull would work fine provided your web server could
handle the frequency of polling.

Cheers
Grant

j a v a j u n k i e