Subject: Re: [flasher] Re: Linkage -> Export this symbol causes an undesireably large first keyframe
From: James Pine
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:09:28 -0000

Hey,

Thanx for getting back to me. Frames loaded would
definately work, except for the fact that the
designers I'm working with want a percentage loaded
field that constantly gets updated as the main movie
loads.

I did come up with half a solution last night. The
site is loading in frames so in the main frame we're
going to have a loading.swf with a text field for the
percent. In another frame, the main swf will load (not
visible to the viewer) and there are some javascript
snippits that will constantly check for
movie.PercentLoaded() and then update the text field
in the loading swf, in the other frame via
parent.content.loadingmovie.SetVariable(name,value).

This works really well cross-browser... on a PC,
unfortunately, since even in IE 5 and Netscape 4.76 on
a mac with the flash 5 plugin, it doesn't appear that
one can use javascript to communicate with the flash
movie. For mac users, they see the loading swf and the
main movie loads at the appropriate time, but they get
no progress indicator (same as what would happen via
the method you described). Sigh. The wonders of
different OS's. At least I killed all the cross
browser issues (using document.flashmovie in Netscape
and just flashmovie in IE). L8r

JAMES