Subject: Re: [flasher] Counting Visitors with Flash
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:15:39 -0000

Well first you need to detect it, so you need to choose javascript
or flash-based detection.

After that, you just need to use some middleware (CGI, ASP,
PHP, JSP, ColdFusion) to increment a value in a database or text
file. That value will be the number of distinct visits where Flash
was detected.

It's not really possible to track individual and distinct users because
of a number of factors, but you should get an idea from the count
you receive... I'd also suggest counting non-Flash visits too, so you
have something to compare against...

The only other wild card in this process is users who do not enter
your site through the front door...if your detection is on the first
page of your site (which it probably should be) then you won't be
able to detect or count users who enter to some interior link. There
are some elaborate ways to force your users to use the first page,
if that's a problem, but it probably isn't...

I've done something similar on my company's site, so it's definitely
possible. I used flash-based detection and ASP on the back-end
and it works very well.

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com