Subject: Re:FLASH: Flash, CGI and e-commerce
From: John Jorsett
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:22:46 +0100

If you expect any sort of load on the site, I would not recommend using CGI
scripting, even if it were possible to author the site that way. Unix has to
fork off a separate process each time the script is invoked, and that takes
quite a toll in performance. I have no experience with Generator, so I can't
answer that aspect of your question. Ignoring Generator for a moment, for a
commerce site, I'd suggest going with either Cold Fusion or Active Server
Pages. For the latter, I think the best development environment today is a
package called Drumbeat 2000. Besides their 'regular' version, I believe they
have an ecommerce edition, but have no experience with it. ASP is generally
run with the Microsoft IIS server, but I have heard that there are 3rd party
add-ons that will support ASP on Unix machines. I don't know if Cold Fusion is
available on Unix or not.