Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash Functionality Verification
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:39:54 +0100

At 1:49 PM 6/30/0, John Andrew Morrison wrote:
> How does flash receive and store an entire file not in
> the standard key=value format written directly to it.

It's true that the current formatting requirements are a practical
minimization of data which can be sent. There were some examples (which I
need to keep silent about) where this would make a realworld difference.

But atop that, just the possibility that "protected" data could be
retrieved, regardless of some constraints upon it, would enough to
disqualify and taint the Flash Player in some distributions... a
decision-maker would not have to fully understand a magazine article in
order to draw damaging conclusions from it.

fwiw, the Shockwave Player implements this protection slightly
differently... it shows the visitor a dialog saying that a request has been
made to load data from domainX, and lets them grant or deny permission.
Some developers feel this is too scary for some audiences, but other
developers appreciate the option.

If you find that this would be useful for your own work, then a note to
wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com saying "I want the same cross-domain data-access
privilege dialog that Shockwave has" (or words to that effect) would help
the development team adjust their prioritizations, thanks.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com