Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash Communicating w/ Java Applets
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:17:54 +0100

At 8:51 PM 6/29/0, Kuehl Melissa-wlmk06 wrote:
> Do you have any documentation on this type of thing?

We've got examples of the Flash end of this communication, but not the
other end, of Java/JavaScript interactions. The Netscape online docs do
have examples of plugin-to-JavaScript-to-Java communication, under search
term "liveconnect".

> We would like create/display a web based component that
> recieves WML data from our external server.

Hmm, would I be understanding this correctly as "How can I do a
browser-based simulation of a PDA with a realtime data connection in WML
format?" If so, then I'd reach for the Shockwave Player for that myself...
it can retrieve net data in arbitrary formats, and has James Clark's exPat
XML parser built into it.

> Will you be at FF2K in NYC?

Unfortunately, I seem to be an AI construct with a cube-bound existence,
and do not appear in sunlight.... ;-) Hope you have a great time there
though, sounds like a good gathering. (You can get on Linnea's good side by
telling her about a novel restaurant. ;-)

At 9:01 PM 6/29/0, Jon Williams wrote:
> Correct except for IE for PC.
> It does work. You just have to
> fiddle LiveConnect a little.

Whenever I search the Microsoft docs, they say that applets need to be
recompiled as COM controls to talk to VBScript. I've seen people assert to
the contrary, but there hasn't been a docs reference to the Microsoft site.
If memory serves then IE/Win offers script-to-applet communication, but not
applet-to-script communication. If you see otherwise than a docs citation
would be great, thanks. (LiveConnect is a Netscape-only thing.)

(Sidenote: IE5/Mac implements a navigator.plugins array, but not
script/plugin intercommunication. Your script can now ask this browser if
it has a certain plugin, but not ask that plugin to do a certain task, or
listen to a message from that plugin.)

jd

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com