Flasher Archive

[Next] - [Index] [Thread Index] - [Previous in Thread] [Next in Thread]

Subject: Re: Shockwave Licensing Petition - shockwave *is* free!
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:00:04 +0100

At 11:18 AM 3/31/98, Dimmy wrote:
>I am a VB developer, and I am considering using Flash in perhaps the
>splash page and even in the About page. Does that mean I have to pay
>Macromedia, even tho' I bought a copy of Flash?

No, your content can be distributed as you see fit. We're talking about the
Shockwave component playback code here.

Again, anyone can freely download their own copy of the Shockwave engines
from the Macromedia website. You can also find it on many browsers CDs,
operating system CDs, and other licensees.

But making your own installation requires licensing. More info is on the
Shockwave Licensing page.

You can certainly create content that takes advantage of system components
found already on your enduser's machine. You can also point them to where
they can get system components. But what *is* limited is the installation
of the Shockwave brand itself.

>Is there a way I can show him the work with a stand-alone viewer?

Yes, there's a standalone viewer on the Flash CD. It's not a component as
Shockwave is, and it can be distributed.

You can also show them your Flash content in your VB app by letting them
download their own copy of the Shockwave components from the Macromedia
website.

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette