Subject: RE: FLASH: Dilemma
From: patrickf
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:58:09 +0100

My friend, I wish I had your cash reserves to dedicate several weeks to a project with no
compensation in site until "several months" after completion. I just can't afford to take a
project with no $ up front. Also, I've found that nearly all of my clients, contacts, and
cohorts expect to either pay a portion up front or get paid a portion up front. I too have
been on the client end of things, and I usually pay 50% of a vendor's fee for a particular
project up front... also I get a signed contract with very clear cut penalties for failure to
deliver on time or on quality... same as in MY contract. I also research my vendors
exhaustively and get multiple references before penny #1 goes out the door.
Sorry, but a client doesn't get final delivery (actually, ANY delivery) until 100% of the invoice
is paid. If the payment goes beyond 90 days then they get a letter from my lawyer. If it goes
beyond 120 the project content reverts back to my ownership (the client has had full
ownership up to that point) and I write them off as a client. If they can afford to piss away
75% of the project costs with absolutely no return, more power to them. And yes, I have
had it happen.

Patrick

> ** Original Subject: RE: FLASH: Dilemma
> ** Original Sender: richard proctor <rpatproctor [dot] ftech [dot] co [dot] uk>
> ** Original Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:20:44 -0500 (EST)

> ** Original Message follows...

> on 1/4/00 2:03 pm, Brian at mattoneatbhip [dot] infi [dot] net wrote:
>
> > I have a bit of a dilemma that I would like to get some advice about.
>
> snip
>

> > What opinion does anyone have here?
> >

> I'm a freelance (print) designer in the UK (I'm lurking on this list
> hoping to pic up some web tips)
>
> I've been freelance for six or seven years and I've *never* had any
> payment up front for any job i've done. In fact, I think that not getting
> paid until the job is complete gives a sense of purpose.
>
> Not that I'm saying that this is a particularly correct way for a client
> to behave - in fact I have one client who i *still* do regular work for who
> always has to be nagged and eventually cursed into paying up - but they
> always do pay - thats no excuse for the client to behave like that - in
> fact, it stinks.
>
> It's tough if you're forced into freelancing - which it seems may have
> happened to you - and this may have some impact on your relationships with
> clients. I think it's important to stand your ground with clients and sell
> your services for a professional fee - and of course you give back a
> professional job.
>
> I've also been in the client situation when i've had to tell people that
> their work is not good enough - but I was able to say this at an early
> enough stage so that little discomfort was felt on either side. This is down
> to good client handling of freelance services - a situation that only
> happens by chance in my experience - unless you are an 'approved contractor'
> - then the ball game changes.
>
> lastly - I once did a job several years ago, the job went fine, was
> approved by the client and printed etc - then came the hassle over the
> invoice - after it hadn't been paid for a couple of moths I started to ring
> to inquire why - thos went on for a while and escalated into a 'difficult
> conversation ' area. I then happened to speak to somebody in the firm who
> was more sympathetic, he said that it was official policy in the firm not to
> pay contractors who they thought were going to be one-off!
>
> complete bastards - I would never work for them again - but I did get
> paid!
>

> rp
>

> flasher is generously supported by...

"Complacency breeds stagnation"