Subject: Web evolution, was: RE: Talking about Bandwidth
From: Philip Rink Jr
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 19:14:26 +0100

At 5:53 AM 5/25/98, Jim Beck wrote:
>Unfortunately large, complex (or even small, efficient) art/eye-candy
>sites will probably always be relegated to the position they are now -
>interesting only for that small group of us who seek them out - but this is
>not what drives technology. Like it or not, money drives technology; bland
>mass-market = $$$.

I think that is too much of a short term view. Just three years ago, many
people were perfectly happy to use a UNIX shell account surfing with Lynx
(me included). I didn't invent multimedia plug-ins and authoring tools, and
I didn't specifically ask for them as a web user. But I'm glad that
somebody pushed the technology, and I'm glad somebody else started building
sites with it. It adds a lot to the Web experience. Compare the
"base-level" web experience today to that of two years ago.

Consider this evolution:
Text links
Graphics as links
Server side image map
Buttons with Javascript rollovers
Each step has required, in fact been enabled by advances in browsers, and
also required more work from the designer, with seemingly only an "eye
candy" justification. Do the buttons do anything different from the text
link? Not really. However, buttons can be made using corporate fonts and
colors, strengthening the corporate identity of the site, and the rollover
action positively identifies the button as a link, adding interactivity
with the user. The obvious extra effort adds professionalism to the site,
and reflects well on the client. These are actual _real benefits_ of
buttons which a year ago may have still been considered "eye candy," and
too much trouble to use. And that's just one small example of "eye candy"
becoming almost a required element of websites.

Web sites are not an all-or-nothing thing -- you don't have to make it
plain text, and you don't have to make it an extravaganza. One of the
reasons that I joined this list was to try to learn how people are using
Flash for practical things, simple ones that aren't "eye candy." But even
so, today's eye candy is tomorrow's basic site. If you think that
bland=money, I think you'll find the money passing you by in a very short
while.

Phil