Subject: Great Edu site!
From: Richard
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:35:17 +0100

As a student in the new Arts and Media program at UCD
(http://carbon.cudenver.edu/mume/multimediastudies2.html)
I loved your site!
In fact its very similar to what Kent Homchik has planned. I myself am working on a piece
that will reference the Enlightenment and back to the words of Spinoza, Erasmus. I liked
that essay that mentions the Enlightenment. My piece will refer to the bridge from that
period to this era of technology. Although there are no singular philosophies in this era,
rather a compendium of many....but nevertheless, the similarity is striking. I am surprised
and delighted when I see something that also refers to it. Guess there are other people who
see it too. Perhaps it takes a certain level of maturity or looking at history from middle
aged eyes. I will share you my work which shall be completed by the end of the summer, just
prior to Fall semester. Right now 'too many miles to go before I sleep, too many promises
yet to keep....'

BTW, I am with you on the issue of bandwidth. But perhaps this may be prejudiced by the fact
that students could have a CD ROm that works in tandem as a cache to the online courseware.
I am exploring this venue for the projects I will deliver via Flash. The idea would be that
the online content would serve as avenue for interactivity and dynamic updates, including
Real Audio but the elements that bandwidth heavy would be on a CD ROM...part of the required
"books" for a given class. Consider that a self extracting exe could deliver these elements
in tandem with the online Flash or better Shockwave presentation. I have a strong feeling
though that most of this will require using Director and Shockwave rather than centered
solely on Flash. In this regard the sound files for background themes could be referenced
from a CD as well as art pieces. Yes, one project that I have decided upon was an
instructional piece for Art history..ala Caravaggio, Vermeer, etc..and the semiotic meanings
that these "texts" offer.

Have you thought about these issues or possibilities?

For on campus distribution, UCD is going to be hooked up to Internet2, with speeds
exceeding 100Mps (even with heavy CSMA/CD contention at max lab usage) and thus programs
could be implemented via the Intranet to deliver some really heavy Media100 or Avid
nonlinear add ins. Hopefully the school will be able to nail some rich sponsors for this.
Anyway, your site, the economical use of the vectored bit maps was very well presented on my
NT4/Win95 dual Pent Pro200 using a 56K modem
The essay part really rocks!