Subject: Re: FLASH: Getting the mailto: to work!
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:45:08 +0100

Hi Michael.

I'm not quite following what it is you've tried so far, but you can call the
mailto: entirely within Flash if it's for web playback. After you make the
button and place it on the stage, double-click it. Select the Action tab. Click
on the plus (+) sign and select Get Url. For the url, enter:
mailathk5 [dot] com (mailto:mailathk5 [dot] com)

Leave the "window" field blank.

If you want your entire Flash movie to function as a button that calls up the
user's default mail program, just make sure the button's hit area covers the
entire stage.

-Marce

At 04:03 PM 5/28/99 -0400, you wrote:

> As a relative newbie to Flash but a long time user of Director, if baffled
> at the fact that I cant figure this out, hence my reason for joining the
> list and picking your brains.
>
> I have a small simple 2 scene Flash file that has two buttons on it. The
> first button simply switches states on rollover for a visual effect, and the
> second I cant seem to get to work properly.
> The second is a line of text which I turned into a button symbol, and I am
> trying to get it, on click, to mailathk5 [dot] com (mailto:mailathk5 [dot] com) ...simple enough right?
>
> So I've implemented the Flash file into my GoLive page, and everything plays
> back fine as frog's hair..BUT, the button won't launch the email client.
>
> Now I tried a bunch of possible solutions to this, one of which was to put
> the file through Aftershock to generate the code. Once this was done, I
> tried launching the Aftershocked generated html by itself in both IE4.5
> (Mac) and Navigator 4.01 (mac) and found that the email DID work in IE but
> not in Netscape.
>
> Any thoughts?
> Michael

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.