Subject: Re: FLASH: desktop video...
From: Michael@BTW
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 23:05:36 +0100

Well its sort of a toss up. Final Cut Pro is an excellent video editor, more
stable than Premiere and far more powerful editing features. However,
AfterEffects is an excellent hi-end editing/compositing package, and an
industry standard. You can do much of what you can do with the base version
of AE using FCP, however, AE has a wealth of great plug-ins that can take
you to the professional level (if you have the budget). If you see yourself
producing simpler video presentations at a home studio, FCP is probably more
than you will ever need, however if you see yourself working for a major
studio in the future, than using Premiere to capture/write and AE to compose
will probably be a better move. Finally, Apple has been a bit spotty about
supporting its graphics software (QTVR Authoring Studio!), which makes me
nervous about putting much faith in FCP long term, however much I like the
current version.

PS we do some editing for a guy with a GL-1, and I agree it is a very nice
little cam, excellent video quality and works with Apple's fire wire very
nicely.

> Having limited experience with video i'm looking to invest in an entry level
> system that will give me an opportunity to learn, while still presenting the
> ability to produce smaller projects. The Cannon GL-1 looks like the best fit
> for my budget at the moment, but i'm wondering if it's better to buy into
> Apple's Final Cut with the expectation that it will continue to improve...
> or just do the usual and buy Adobe's Premiere & After Effects.
>
> Does anybody have practical experience with these three products that can
> make recommendations? Are there any significant pitfalls to either line-up
> that i should be aware of? Why did Macromedia let Final Cut go... it seems
> like such a logical extension of their web oriented line-up?
>

> thanks,
>
> -james
>

> flasher is generously supported by...
> World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer
>
> Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com
>
> Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent
> search for Shockwave
> and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob
> Burgess, Matt
> Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com

=====>
Michael Penney