Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash3, Toy or serious designer tool?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:52:59 GMT

At 1:07 PM 10/28/98, Jean Dukate wrote:
> I haven't seen any application at all that can render a complex
> model into a shaded vector image. Has anyone else find such a program?

Adobe Dimensions renders out as PostScript. Unfortunately for our purposes,
it shades by blending, rather than by gradient.

(iow, its output is optimized for printers, rather than for fast delivery.)

Sidnotes:
The Mesh Gradient Tool of Illustrator 8, mentioned previously in this
thread, uses a different mechanism for that "look" than do the blended
gradients of FreeHand 7. Mesh gradients are imaged via PostScript 3, and
must be converted to JPEG for translation into other tools.
While Fireworks does use vectors for editing, it procedurally renders
out parameter-based brushstrokes onto these vectors. The increased
calculation costs per pixel mean that Fireworks cannot render as quickly as
Flash can... it's better-suited to designtime rendering than runtime
rendering.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/