Subject: Re: FLASH: Percentage of Flash?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 22:08:27 GMT

At 11:27 AM 10/27/98, Brad Merritt wrote:
>My employers are curious about the percentage of people with the Flash
>plug-in so we can tell clients about the user base and what not. Does
>anyone know the answer or even an approximation. I can only seem to find
>Macromedia saying that "4.1 million people download a month", but no real
>stats.

I'm not sure, Brad.

Ben Dillon (Flash product management team) recently said in an interview
that there have been more Flash downloads than there are web browsers,
because of the multiple versions, multiple installations. Even such basic
figures as the number of people on the internet have great variance.

Right now we can precisely measure completed downloads, and this is a huge
number. We also know (roughly) the number of new computers sold each month,
and these all have Flash preinstalled. Things like operating system CDs and
browser CDs and AOL discs are harder to usefully measure, because although
they likely have unique distribution numbers, we're not certain how many
people actually install from those CDs (you might have four AOL discs lying
around the desk, for instance).

One number our customers' clients have asked for is the number of unique
users. RealNetworks is able to achieve this through their subscription
basis to the RealPlayer, and Apple has also moved to this model with
QuickTime Pro. The number of unique users can help in some client
scenarios.

What other types of stats would you find most useful? This is what Eric
Wittman was asking for in the "Developer Support Brochure" thread here
earlier today. He requests your needs as email, but it could be helpful to
duplicate this to the list as well, to get the juices flowing.

Precisely what kind of numbers would you find most useful in your
day-to-day work...?

tx,
jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html