Subject: Re: FLASH: Help me understand...
From: David Gary
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:24:33 GMT

Brian Boyd wrote:

> Tons of ideas and I am trying to figure out what I can and cannot do.
>
> I decided to try something to help me understand flash's behavior as far as
> symbols go.
>
> I decided to attempt rain. I am hoping you guys might describe how you
> would go about it.

Hiya Brian,

I might be able to help, because I created a rain scene for our up and coming
corporate site.

I look at FLash from a paradigm view or as a modeler. Thie first thing I did was
make
my rain fall. All it consisted of was one drop and then an animated circle ring.

this animated symbol was dragged onto a MC's(Movie Clip) timeline several times
on serveral layers. I then "scaled" each animated symbol for distance and
perspective and even tweened alpha for lighting effects. Note: I used rings
because my drops where hitting water. You could use a little splatter animation
if its hitting solid ground. Also I didnt have the drops to concentrate in the
animation. IOWs, I only had 2 or 3 drops falling at once to cut down on
processor occupancy. Rain is fairly simply in FLash. Just remember. ONE
animation of the drop and it's splatter dragged onto a Movie CLip's timeline,
several times, scaled and moved into different locations is probably the easiest
and most effecient way.

HTH,

-DG-