Subject: RE: UKNM: Incorrect Use of Client Reference Sites
From: Danny Sullivan
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:34:37 +0100

> The thing that annoys me the most is the practice of using the
> names of the major agencies in the meta tags of a home page to
> suck in people who are searching for that agency. We fall foul of
> this in several places, as do many other agencies - try it and
> see! I'm not sure if this is illegal, but perhaps it comes under
> miss-use of a trademark? If it does, I can feel a conversation
> with a solicitor coming on. Does anyone else know for sure?

So far, courts in the US have frowned upon those who misuse
tradenames in this manner. If you want a quicker solution, notify the
offender that if they don't immediately remove your name, you'll get
in touch with the search engines and report them for misleading spam.
I suspect you'll find the tags will get quickly changed.

cheers,
danny

Danny Sullivan, dannyatcalafia [dot] com
Calafia Consulting, http://calafia.com/