Subject: RE: UKNM: Good reports/books in Intraent strategy
From: Giles Turnbull
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:55:26 +0100

Ian wrote:
... I've been charged with creating an intranet from scratch for a
medium-sized company for use by all departments, and am keen to get my hands
on some good books/reports on Intranet development, maintenance & overall
strategy. I'm particularly interested in the non-technical side of
development (have people to do that), and anything with case studies/best
practice. ...

GT: Ian, I can't for the life of me remember where I saw this (only recently
as well) but it was a discussion of intranets which came to this conclusion
(words to the effect of):

"Intranets built top-down, for the purpose of handing out company PR and HR
to employees who are largely trying to ignore it, tend to fail. Intranets
built bottom-up, by interested and able employees wanting to improve
communication and the working environment for themselves and their
colleagues, tend to succeed."

Reading it again it appears to be painfully obvious, but I 'spose there's
plenty of company MDs who never got their head round it.

Hope it wasn't a Fletcher report. :)

- Giles