Subject: Re: UKNM: plug-in take up/stats
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:33:11 +0100

If 8.5% have flash, plus 11% with IE5 + those with a late version IE4 which
I believe includes flash, then I reckon you are talking about 20%+ of all
users.

Why not offer flash to those? People talk about one-to-one marketing in
theory but seem to have problems with the concept of
one-to-a-fifth-of-the-world's-online-population marketing in practice.

If your server software/setup is clever enough to detect browser type then
you can work out if you should direct a request to the flash home page or
the non-flash home page. No need to ask the user to "click here for flash" /
"click here for non-flash.

Of course there is nothing wrong with plain old html either (sans frames
preferably).

I just cannot understand the daft argument that says that "html is better
than flash" or "flash is better than html" or "Netscape is better than IE4"
"Macs are better than PCs" etc etc. The customer makes a choice. If you
can't keep in line with customers having choices go get a job in the civil
service (but realise that gov agencies are coming on board with the notion
of customer service too).

Henry Ford, where are you just when so many people in the new media business
need you so badly?

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan
0181 639 0015