Subject: Re: UKNM: plug-in take up/stats
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:58:16 +0100

This whole debate has made me laugh, quite simply because the
methodology behind the survey is dubious. Today, the Hitbox community
boasted 49,398,296 visitors over 290,497 sites - making a visitors per
site average of 170. Woo-hoo!

The top rating site in the network is the Drudge Report 292,556
vistors. The next one along (Galore) boasts 82,570 - a real drop off.

What I am getting to is this - none of this fills me with confidence
that taking a sample from sites that have an average audience of 170
per day each is statistically significant.

Now, if Nielsen NetRatings or similar were to survey *their* top ten
and get stats from Yahoo, MSN, Blue Mountain Arts and so forth...

Stefan> Starting off from a personal prejudice about Flash and then
bandying about some ill-distinguised research to support your own
argument seems to be highly unscientific. Look at the poor bloke who
championed the gay gene and has just p***ed six years of research
money up the wall for nothing.

The worst thing you can say about Flash (quite apart from the fact
that it screws up slow machines) is that it is antithetical(?) to the
original vision of the Internet and the Web: it's proprietary, is not
supported on a wide variety of platforms (does Flash run on CE? BSD?
OS/9?) and it's impossible to index using a robot.

In an ideal world, Flash Generator would be open source and we could
all integrate it into our database-driven publishing solution, author
once and publish twice using plug-in detection to give people the
version they can support. But that would be far too easy! ;)

Sajid