Subject: RE: UKNM: plug-in take up/stats
From: Martin Lloyd
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:39:28 +0100

> apart from the fact that http://www.1to1.com/tools/ct/noflash/end2.htm
>
> Next!
>
> stefan

Thats it, I'm a convert. Flash is a waste of time - I've changed my mind,
entertaining, innovative sites are just not worth the hassle. But having
killed Flash why stop there?

Its become increasingly clear of late that the net just isn't open to all
equally. Here are just a few of the things we should stop using

1 : Modems that run quicker than 28.8
2 : Any Windows based operating system
3 : Any software supplied outside a standard operating system
4 : Graphics

So what I propose is that we take a long hard look at our industry and
decide on the following

1 : Text only browsing over dial up connections. (I always new Lynx would
make a comeback)
2 : Asci text art should be outlawed to accomodate those people whoose
screens run at less than 100 characters per line
3 : All screens should be monochrome. (and none of that fancy green screen
stuff either)

Now its still apparent that this restricts the internet to people with
computers and phones. Now most people have phones, or at least access to
them so we can ignore that one for now. The big problem though is supplying
PC's. Fortunately the system we're proposing will run quite happily on
reliable PC's built in the 1980's. The solution I propose is raiding the
BBC's props department for the thousands of Amstrads that sat in the corner
of rooms during early Bergerac episodes. At last count the BBC had over 43
million surplus Bergerac PC's all stored in a basement in Madervale which
could be resurrected as part of our new age. If that fails Spectrum have a
further 16 million 28k machines which had to be mothballed when they were
produced with the wrong colour rubber keys.

I believe that once all web browsing conforms to these standards we will
have taken a great technological leap fowards. Innovation will thrive in
this environment, companies will rush to invest in the web and provide
massive research funding to propel the industry into the next millenium.
Internet stocks will continue to do well, the software companies will
develop newer, faster, more impressive text only browsers. Quake, Doom and
all those games can be shelved with incalculable benefits for our moral well
being, while the Internet porn industry will fold overnight. The free
thinking, diverse and challenging community of the web can once again be the
province of academics and programmers who know how to read their mail via a
unix prompt.

Welcome to the world of the future.

Steffan '99
"We can't do anything for you today"