Subject: RE: UKNM: plug-in take up/stats
From: Bradley
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:13:31 +0100

> Entertaining, innovative sites rarely use flash or shockwave.
> Unimaginative, inappropriate to the medium,
> I-watch/make-tv-ads-so-here's-a-crappy-animation sites often use flash.
> the formula1 site was the least irritating of the examples offered, but
> the thesis still stands I believe.
>
> here's the one example of flash I've seen that is productive: nice clean
> design, useful information, no flying-about distracting text, and this
> really would be hard to do as well in html.

http://www.ikea.com/content/main.asp?tab=3&contentname=/content/furniture/sp
otlight/furniture_spotlight_billy_assemble.asp

Nice to see the level of debate is as objective and unopionated as usual.

Stefan (and others), whilst I agree this is a very nice example of
productive use of Flash and, whilst there are plenty of examples of bad use
of Flash, I believe that Flash fulfills a purpose outside of pure effective
use of the medium. It's very easy for us to be purists about which
technologies are appropriate to use and which are not but the fact of the
matter is that as much as we'd like to deny it the web is still seriously
affected by multimedia-poor content and efficient but oh so boring
navigation and Flash goes someway to providing an interface which is more
approachable and yes, perhaps more like TV (and what's wrong with that?),
and fun to use.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether it comes from Flash, Java, Shockwave,
DHTML or faeries, but without the help of fun, interesting and often
pointless graphics and animations the web will never mature into a mass
media with broad appeal. Let's go back to sgml - solves the frames issue
too.

Bradley Crooks
Entertainment Group Director
Foresight New Media
3-4 Albion Court
Galena Road
London W6 0QT

Tel: 0181 237 5564
Mob: 0976 246 751
email: bradleyatforesight [dot] co [dot] uk