Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Nick Gilbert
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:14:09 +0100

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Mike Butcher wrote:

> Sure, but how *long* does anyone stay on a portal site? A site may have
> 20m+ impressions a month but what is that worth when 90% of the traffic
> only spends 10 minutes on the site? Surely depth of interaction and user
> loyalty, not just buckets of eyeballs, is a better goal and therefore a
> route to a better media property?

One can hypothesise 'til the cows come home about how long anyone stays on
a portal site. The only answer to that question is to ask them. We used to
have a counter on the homepage which would give us that information but
since we've reverted to static pages, we don't get it any more. What it
was telling us however was that our users spent an average of 40 minutes
per day looking at the site, which as far as I'm concerned is about the
same as the average person spends reading a magazine or newspaper. What's
more the majority of our users return up to 5 days per week. Not bad for a
"portal" site.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Gilbert