Subject: UKNM: RE: UKNM Digest V1 #49
From: Steve Miller
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:11:25 +0100

David (Bentley),

Thanks for those kind words (I'll ask Ivan for a pay rise). Sorry for not
getting back to you sooner - I'm on Sam's UKNM Digest, so I get all the
emails in one lump.

As to your question of whether I think that think that PR is a tactical
marketing tool which is there to get 'editorial space' even at the expense
of positioning? I would say that it all depends on the context. NetNames
sells Domain Names to a very wide range of people around the world, so I
tend to use PR as a broad marketing tool to try and touch the lives of as
many people as possible. If an individual purchases a Domain Name from
NetNames via a reseller, partner or direct from us as a result of reading a
story about our customised condoms being stolen from the Windows show; a
deal with MSN; or the opening of NetNames Australasia - I don't really mind.
I admit that if I had more time (if only), fewer other marketing tools in my
armoury (DM, SP, direct sales, web, Advertising, shows, to name just a few)
and a specific marketplace (e.g. Accountants), I would probably be more
specific about the use of PR. At the moment it is just great fun to blast
out a mix of good stories, and build the NetNames brand to a broad group
audience of individuals and companies around the planet.

As to your question about our association with the notion of 'Portals' - I
leave the Internet visionaries to discuss this particular angle. I really
need to get on and get NetNames to sell more product, and besides, I've got
a Monica Lewinsky/Domain Name press story to write ;-)

Steve.

Its Miller Time!
Steve Miller: Marketing Director
NETNAMES * The INTERNATIONAL DOMAIN NAME REGISTRY
Registering Domain Names in over 200 countries

http://www.netnames.co.uk
180-182 Tottenham Court Road
London, W1P 9LE
+44 171 291 3905 (Direct) Mobile: 0467 456787