Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:19:09 +0100

From: Mike Bracken <mike [dot] brackenatguardian [dot] co [dot] uk>

>>(RT said: )Value is created by investment. BBC is investing in the product in a big way
>
>Incorrect. The entire beeb.com site is under discussion. ICL are extremely
>unhappy and the BBC and ICL has written off any likelihood of profits.

I stand corrected and, if the details you have are correct, it certainly
should be me paying you because you have resolved a problem I currently have
in respect of Beeb.

However, before you send me the invoice, I did say that I did not charge for
opinions that were not backed up by data so I hope you feel the same
(alternatively send me the file and we can discuss price :-) )

Or perhaps I should start reading The Guardian again?

One small point though. If the BBC and ICL have written off any chance of
making a profit it does not surprise me. Having spoken to various beeb
people it was clear that they vastly over-estimated the 1997/98 potential
from Internet advertising in the UK. Then that is nothing unusual in the UK
market. However, our own researched data and projections on the UK Internet
advertising market have been in wide circulation for over a year so they
have no excuse.

The fact that it has not done what they hoped it would do by now does not
mean it will not be big in 1999. Unless of course they can it.

Most media owners over-estimated growth in Internet advertising and some of
them (including Beeb) criticised my report and projections. The clever ones
have reviewed their data and rewritten their business plans.

Any comment from Beeb on this?

Have a nice weekend!

Ray Taylor
Assistant VDU operator