Subject: Re: UKNM: old chestnuts: upfront registration
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:05:42 +0100

> I have no doubt that you believe every word you say, but I also have
> no doubt that you have no idea what you are talking about, because
> user behavior is far too vast a space for your common sense to make
> much of a dent. Stef specifically asked for something more than
> vaporous guesses from people who hadn't done any research, but you
> seem not to have read that far into his post.

It seems you didn't read very far into mine, either. If you did you would
have noticed that I acknowledged this shortcoming as follows:

"I know this may not be of much help if the party who 'needs convincing'
wants to see something on paper, but if they are blind to basic human nature
then perhaps they are beyond help."

Interesting that you turned a blind eye to this paragraph.

> Stef wasn't asking for opinions, he was asking for documentation of
> observed behavior. Your opinions about copywriting, or the business
> climate in the UK, or what life is like at designercity are all areas
> where your opinion has real and direct relevance, but since you not
> only haven't done any homework concerning user behavior but have also
> voiced nothing but contempt for those who have, you are correct in
> noting that you have provided little of value to an open discussion.

Again, you're absolutely right. After all, I am only a humble Copywriter and
having no knowledge of the marketplace I write for I should pull my head in
and not voice a single opinion in this open discussion list. I am, after
all, originally from Mars - and as this is the only job I have ever held
since moving to Earth I have no right to make judgements on general
marketing concepts - much less on human nature. By the way, this - and my
original remark regarding 'value to an open discussion' - represents
*irony*. It is a common phenomenom on the Internet that I doubt you will
find in any statistics - and as such I'm not surprised you missed it.

What say I shout you a beer or two sometime? We can argue drunkenly about
statistics vs. reality at length at not bother these nice people with what I
hope is a temporary personality conflict.

Peace Love and Mung Beans

��

Tim Ireland
Senior Copywriter
DESIGNERCITY LIMITED
Email: timatdesignercity [dot] com

Have it your way @ www.funmail.co.uk

"A discussion that does not meander will never tread new ground."