Subject: RE: UKNM: Top 100 UK New Media Agencies
From: Sarah Clelland
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:51:31 +0100

I agree Stewart, but it seems to me that most of these lists are based on
turnover, one of the reasons being that this actually protects egos.

Marketing magazine ran their Design League Tables recently, and their
Internet Design Agency list was completely bizarre. Based on Turnover, it
actually offered two sets of figures - Turnover and...Internet Turnover(?).
AKQA came first with �21,000,000 in both columns, but CLK.MPL who came
50th recorded their Internet turnover at a mere �448,370.

Now, I for one can think of a lot of web agencies with higher turnover than
that, so why aren't they on the list? If I was being cynical I might suggest

that CLK.MPL's total non-Internet turnover of �11,209,000 had something to
do with it. If this is true, then this is surely an example of
ego-protecting
behaviour by Marketing.

Turnover is a crappy criteria for compiling these lists, but other
alternatives are just as dodgy. I just want list compilers to title their
findings properly - Top 100 Web Agencies By Turnover or Top 50 Design
Agencies Listed In Order Of Their Internet-based Turnover.

I believe New Media Age is running a Top 100 web agency guide in September.
I really hope they inject some thought into it and come up with something
better than Marketing did.

Phew - I've wanted to get that off my chest for ages, thanks.

Sarah Clelland
Snow Valley
www.snowvalley.com