Subject: Re: UKNM: Cookies
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 15:21:48 +0000 (GMT)

---Craig Pickup <c [dot] pickupatdigitrade [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

> What about those who do not allow cookies to be set?
[snip]
> I know a number of e-commerce sites that
> rely totally on cookies to the exent that if you do not allow them to be set you
> can not make use of the online purchasing

To answer point one, I quote from the sysop(?) of Slashdot.org, every
good geeks' source of news (uncorrected spelling):

"We use cookies to remember who you are. If you are paranoid about
cookies, then you probably don't understand them. They aren't mind
control or voodoo so relax and accept them without fealing like Big
Brother is watching every time you see a cookie... without them, the
internet woudl have a lot more problems than it already does. If you
don't believe me, tough. I'm firm on this one: Cookies aren't perfect,
but they aren't evil, and I'll continue to use them." Amen.

To answer point two, there are many many legitimate reasons for using
cookie technology for e-commerce applications - it's not unreasonable
to assume anymore that the majority of the target audience have
cookie-capable browsers. More to the point, would I want to be
targeting a demographic of those who aren't running cookie-capable
browsers? For example, how the hell am I going to be able to run a
differential marketing programme if I can't track my user base
properly?!

As for those who turn off their cookies, see point one and then go and
see Mr. Hayward for a talk about the birds and the bees.

Sajid Mohammed