Subject: Re: UKNM: AOL advertising
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:03:43 GMT

Stefan said:

>Am I the only person who finds AOL's new spate of TV ads *just* *a
>little* misleading?

I think the interesting thing about the AOL advertising is the fact that
they have moved away from the nonsensical space-cadet ads they were running
a while back and on to address fundamentals such as ease of use, parental
control, educational value, entertainment...

Demon are attempting to do the same, but failing abysmally with their
whatthefatkisit [dot] allabout [dot] com print and outdoor ads. I think this campaign
predates the Dixons launch anyway.

What AOL and the other big existing access providers need to do is
re-emphasise value and service as against "cheap and nasty." The free access
model has still to prove itself.

Will they succeed? Whether they do or not, the fact is that internet use in
the UK is now mass-market and mainstream, thanks to DSG. This will bring all
sorts of benefits in 1999 which already looks like being a fantastic year
for anyone with any imagination.

Season's greetings to all and best wishes for the new year.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan - 0181 639 0015
Internet advertising? It's easy when you know someone who knows how