Subject: Re: UKNM: [Was 'ecommerce Xmas wet dream or nightmare?']
From: Ian Fenn
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:34:22 GMT

Richard wrote:
> Parcel Force can't give you a time for delivery and can't even even narrow
> it down to morning or afternoon. Their customer service centre is only in
> contact with depots via e-mail, and they have no way of contacting drivers
> until they return to the depot at the end of the day. Clearly, they've
never
> heard of mobile phones. The organisation is run for its own convenience,
not
> to provide good service customers.

Couldn't agree more - this has been my experience too. Fulfilment is
e-commerce's achilles heel and I was rather disappointed when a post to UKNM
about this very subject a week or so ago, received just two replies. What we
need is a company that will deliver nationwide at evenings and weekends.
What's more, the cost of delivery needs to be reasonable. Many of the
e-commerce sites I know are making a loss on each sale due to the high cost
of delivery, hoping that in time, volume will balance the cost out.

> Whinging aside, delivery is an issue that on-line shops have to take very
> seriously. After a bad experience with Parcel Force last week, I shan't be
> shopping at eToys again, unless it stops using Parcel Force. Drastic, but
> bad delivery makes on-line shopping neither cheap, convenient or fast.

Hear hear. I will no longer shop with Pets Pyjamas for the very same reason.

All the best,

--
Ian Fenn
http://www.chopstix.co.uk/ (Not e-commerce-enabled yet due to high cost of