Subject: Re: UKNM: Advertising A Website?
From: Casper M�ller
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 14:43:34 GMT

This subject is turning into a very long, and extremely interesting,
discussion. Just to summarize, some of the keypoints have been:

1. Been there, done that, bought the t-shisrt, read the book, seen the
movie...
It is probably painfully clear by now that Topjobs are not breaking into
uncharted territory. This kind of advertising and promotion has been done
before in several countries.

2. There are quite a lot of interesting options for attracting people to
your Web site!
The discussion has shown the need to integrate external marketing efforts.
However, I am not quite sure about Carlo's notion to brief different ad
agencies at the same time. My personal experience is that if you try this
they will automatically try to move into each other's area of expertise in
order to become sole account holders. This kind of competition is not
healthy for the client or the agencies since most would loose track of the
all important goals for companies going on the Web:
- Sell more to existing customers (up- and cross-selling).
- Obtain new customers AND keep them
- Build/maintain/improve your corporate image
- Reduce internal, administrative costs
- Improving efficiency and effectiveness of customer service
- Building/improving brand awareness and attitude
- Create integrated external communications efforts

Many of the things described above have been termed Relationship Marketing,
Virtual Corporation, Mass Customization etc., but the primary goals of
Internet/Web adoption are still the aspects mentioned.

The most interesting thing to note, though (and I know I'll get slammed for
this), is that most companies fail to integrate their internal AND external
marketing efforts. Unbelievably, a Web site is still often being viewed as a
"cute" add-on controlled by a specific department (e.g. IT or marketing).
Most managers fail to realise that in doing so they will fail in numerous
areas:
- They will not achieve the internal enthusiasm and support needed in order
to run a Web site on a daily basis
- If external marketing efforts are not integrated it will create customers
who are doubtful about a given company's ability to deliver a certain
product or service (this is where corp. ID & image become very interesting
in relation to the Web)
- The Web is the most interactive single medium known to man/woman today. By
anchoring a project in one specific department you might loose access to
information which you do not deem valuable. However, your customers might
not agree with you ... ;-)

If you want to succesfully incorporate Web marketing into your existing
efforts it is extremely important to have a basic understanding of:
- the medium and its characteristics
- your customers
- your overall strategy
- the relationship between different media

I might be stepping on several feet when saying that most UK companies (and
their agencies - interactive and traditional) have failed to understand
this. Based on my own experience, I have just received too many absolutely
ridiculous recommendations based on general trends instead of a profound
understanding of our business. Most of the agencies with whom I have talked
have had some brilliant creative ideas, but have not been able to understand
why such a project would not work in a given industry.

I have several ideas for how to plan the entire process from both a customer
and agency point-of-view. Please let me know if you would like me to
elaborate on any of the aspects mentioned above or if you would like to go
into a strategic discussion (either in this public forum or in private).

Casper

Casper Moller
Global Marketing Manager, Internet
Time Manager International A/S

Addresses:

Corporate:
-------------------------
Huginsvej 8
DK-3400 Hilleroed
Denmark

Tel. +45 4226 2688
Fax +45 4226 5455

Don't forget to visit Scandinavia's most advanced Web site from June 1st
1998:
http://www.timemanager.com/

In the meantime please feel free to visit our corporate Web site located at:

http://www.tmiworld.com/

If you want to visit a local site, please feel free to have a look at:
http://www.tmi.co.uk/ (United Kingdom)
http://www.tmi.dk/ (Denmark)
http://www.tmi.no/ (Norway)
http://www.timemanager.se/ (Sweden)
http://www.tmi-us.com/ (USA)

These are just a few of the international TMI sites available. For a
complete list please visit TMI World at http://www.tmiworld.com/

Private:
-------------------------
Flat 3
3 Harrington Gardens
London SW7 4JJ
United Kingdom

Tel. +44 0171 370 6031
Mobile 0961 385 265

P.S. If anybody needs a chief Web strategist, I am available. My employer
has been informed of my desire to leave and there are no hard feelings.
However, I want to go out on a high note by finishing the project I have
started and therefore I will not be available for at least 4 weeks after I
get an offer of a new job.

If you would like to know more about me and the skills which I possess,
please feel free to contact me privately at the address shown above or send
an e-mail to camollratibm [dot] net.