Subject: Re: UKNM: Creativity
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:18:42 GMT

Robert Hamilton <robertatbrandwidth [dot] co [dot] uk> said:

>Ray wrote:
>
>> The best ideas are timeless, dreamt up in seconds, and executed in the
>> excitement of the moment.
>
>The fact that you, I, or anyone in the new-media business may be able to
>come up with a brilliant idea in seconds does not, however, mean that
>we should be giving such ideas away. Cost vs value anyone?

I agree entirely, Robert. So why charge for ideas by the time it takes to
get them down on paper / up on a screen?

Charging for the realisation is fine, but if studio A comes up with a
brilliant idea and charges 2 days @ �600 and studio B comes up with an
equally brilliant idea and charges 0.5 days @ �600, don't be surprised if
some clients consider studio B's work better value for money. Why pay agency
"A" four times as much as "B" just because their designer's mouse hand is
slower, or s/he spends more time staring out the window for inspiration?

And please remember that the whole campaign should be creative, not just the
banner design (a very small part of an overall web ad campaign). In which
case why not put together whole campaigns for clients on a fee basis, rather
than just selling studio time to produce banners?

Ideas, being no man's property, cannot be priced and should not be sold.
What a good studio or agency sells is the ability to generate great ideas
time and again and to manage a process whereby those ideas are realised.
What a customer buys is the end result, not the process, and certainly not
the ideas.

Ray Taylor tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com +44 181 639 0015
1999 - time to get serious about web advertising