Subject: UKNM: re: Amazon, flames etc
From: Cait Hurley
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:25:26 GMT

Apologies for starting a row then ducking out - all routes in and out of
e-mail have currently died so I have no idea who's responded to what but I
hear everyone shouted at me or something.

My point, badly and narkily expressed as usual, was that I have often been
in the position before where, once empowered into the creative process, the
coders on a project have been, in fact, the most creative people on the
team, because their strong knowledge of what the software can do has pushed
the envelope rather than sealed it with the ill concieved ideas that people
who haven't been trained or worked long enough in the medium imagined were
ewhat they should have been doing.

There is one blindingly obvious point to make here:
-I'm not talking about designers or producers or even marketeers who,
regardless of background *have a clue* and who are *good*. Luckily, this is
somewhat more widespread than it used to be, and *obviously* there are some
incredibly good people out there, I mean, I'm not that stupid for God's
sake! I would have thought that people would understand that at least.
Anyway...

My point was, remembering several coders over the years who I've known to
be incredibly creative people (often way more capable than the people they
were working with or for) getting lumbered with other peoples' bad ideas
then having to make the best of it. The Usability point was made to me by
someone I had alot of time for who was busy pulling his hair out because
the techies in the company were percieved by the creative team as being
implimentors rather than creators.

So ultimately the point is to raise the status of techies within the
"traditional" 'net workplace such that the process of the creation of the
site/information retrieval system is seen as a holistic one, not one where
the "creative" department get together without consulting the apparently
*non* creative department.

At least (apparently) there was some real discussion, but for badly
expressing my point, I apologise.
Cait Hurley | mb: +44 0771 8516943 | wk: +44 01442 882648 | icq: 1257510