Subject: UKNM: RE: Programmers
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:13:42 GMT

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 11:11:27AM -0000, John Braithwaite wrote:
JB writes:

> It reminds me of talking to a techie who had just come up with a page
that
> could randomly display 20 book jackets from a selection of 40,000. Cool -
> maybe, but why would our customers want it?
>
> Perhaps this particular programmer wanted all the visitors to recognise
his
> skills: "oh, that's really clever, it must have been programmed by a
> genius!" Why else?

Danny writes:

Actually, a lot of the time what's involved is for someone to recognise
that's what has been done is "cool" in the sense that no-one else is
able to do it yet, and then take advantage of the enthusiasm to
produce a unique feature that users do want. That techie just gave you
something for free. You don't have to use it, but politeness would
require you to think about what is clever behind it, and then see
if you can use *that* to create a value added service, rather than
just question the motivation. There's a reason why these things
are called demos, after all.

For instance, why not retool the program to produce automatic book
images for a banner ad? The random bit is just a place holder (it's
the easiest part of the page to write) - perhaps your techie could come up
with the top ten selling books instead. That way, you get ten unique
banner ads generated that reflect your users current interests, and
which change automatically.

You see? That's "cool" *and* "useful". It may not be the best idea
in the world, but it only took me twenty seconds. I bet that you
and the programmer would be able to come up with better, once you
showed him/her the general idea.

Sheesh. And I thought marketing people were supposed to understand what
makes people tick.

d.

Danny,

At what point in your email did you lose sight of what I was talking about
and start on your own particular assumptive rant? You don't know what I said
to the programmer, whether I am a marketer or whether I have the advantage
of both programming experience as well as marketing skills.

If you think that what he had done is 'clever' then you probably haven't
used 'random' before. Followed by so kind of easy 'display' code. This
gentleman, fortunately, worked for an outside agency and was wasting their
money, not ours. As for your application of the idea - hmmm, still not
useful.

I avoid using random or computer generated recommendation or display of
books at all costs - not because we can't, but we know that most customers
can spot this kind of thing a mile off. "Customers who bought your book also
bought .... ". Is this where the net is going?

"A big computer assumed, based on previous page visits, made by another
person who happened to sit at your computer, that you are a timewaster and
deserve this fridge at a very generous 10% discount"

As for clever programmers, they are the ones who can spot both 'cool' and
'useful' before they spend too much time down a blind alley. That's why the
good ones get paid so much and why they are in short supply.

Now you've gone and made me rant!!

JB