Subject: Re: UKNM: Image sizes
From: Dan Winchester
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:35:28 GMT

rukhsana,

To reduce the file size of a gif:

- reduce the physical size of the image
- reduce the total number of colours needed to make up the image
- reduce the complexity of the image

Smaller file size means quicker download time.

So, a square gif made up two colours, one half black and one half white,
will come down the pipe far quicker than a photograph of the same
physical size.

Hence, if you wanted a physically large background image, with the
download time of a small photo, use few colours and stick to simple
designs.

Using jpegs for photos will typically reduce the file size compared to a
gif, unless the photo can be represented using very few colours.

Hope this helps!
Dan
http://dan.freelancers.net

gif optimisation is done by reducing the number of colours necessary to
form the image,