Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] Re: Journo looking for rentaquotes
From: David Shiell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:25:25 -0000

Fully agree with Leslie here Steve.

If a campaigns objectives revolve around a full blown branding exercise, then a complete through-the-line approach will still give you the overall strongest awareness. However the beauty of online marketing is its ability to impact purchase decisions by combining message delivery with interactivity. A recent Forester report (Jan 2000)I read predicts, "... the growth of adspend will be linear with growth of customer databases." This is a logical progression given that more cost efficiency can be achieved by identifying consumers with a greater affinity to purchase....and then reaching them more often! All this of course depends heavily on intelligent targeting and re-targeting, as Leslie pointed out.

Marketers are focusing on buying media for results, not audiences - Digital marketing allows us to shift the focus away from traditional demos/targets like 25 to 54-year-old males to targeting people who are searching for specific products. We online can have the ability to look at different consumer goals, such as new customer acquisition or loyalty. Marketing managers can then match the media mix with marketing tools that will best deliver against those objectives. No longer will we simply have to rely on using recall brand product studies for our ROI - we can track results in the form of click-through’s, leads, and even purchases....show me the Money!!.

Steve, like many digital marketers out there, I did my time in traditional media, and feel qualified to be able to see "both sides of the coin" with absolute clarity (well maybe a little bit of cloudiness!!). As another person mentioned in this string of emails, it really is a matter of just a few barriers to entry which are retarding the online usage growth (eg. access speed and flat-rate access and of course....time!). Once these hurdles are cleared, the online spend will see significant growth. The above Forester report also predicts that 63% of marketers currently agree they will draw from ATL To support online growth - either by allocating more money or cutting fat from offline budgets (ie.Press, magazines and especially direct mail)!

Dave