Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] Death of the "dotcom"
From: Nick Horley
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:58:26 -0000

It's hard to find a term that's not been tarnished. Today we're describing
ourselves as a "marketplace/ASP". We used to be a vertical industry
community, then we were a trading hub, then a vortal [yuck]....but we're
only a dotcom when I'm being self-deprecating in the pub.

Can anyone suggest a better label (seriously - we're chasing VCs at the
moment)? We are a vertically-focused industrial machinery marketplace, with
a huge database of technical specs, a whizzy directory of suppliers of new
machinery and services, and every conceivable sort of community/editorial
content. Plus we rent out extranets where people can build a database to
manage their machinery inventory - that's the bit which today wears the ASP
label.

We want a term that people associate with 'transactions' and 'revenue', not
'burn rate' or 'layoff'.

Nick

P.S. Don't ask me which industry we're in, it's a secret.