Subject: UKNM: IE attacked my system (was Aol Advertising)
From: Richard Barlow
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:57:12 GMT

Hmm. I think in all fairness this is not entirely Freeserve's fault - it's
more to do with Microsoft's appalling bug ridden IEAK (Internet Explorer
Administration Kit) which ISPs use to make their customer dialup/browser
setup.

I was in the (un?) fortunate position of being the first person (in the UK -
I was using 4.0 and then Microsoft released the new version the week the CDs
were to be pressed so checked the new build and it seemed more stable so I
decided to use it) to use 4.01 SP1 to release 10,000 CDs to our customers.
It was an absolute nightmare with IE not being compatable with different
builds of Win95. And Microsoft's response? Just ask your customer to
download the latest Win95 build from our web site: How prey tell can they
download when they haven't got net access!!

Why wasn't I aware of the problem internally? We just had builds that
happened to be compatable. Now our call centre has calmed down we can
simply in about 15 mins guide a punter through fixing the problem but then
our support is standard rate...

Richard Barlow (been reading this digest for 4 months and this is my first
posting)
Development Director
Powernet International - a division of Freecall Ltd.

Freecall: 0500 011 501 Freefax: 0500 011 502