Subject: Re: UKNM: measuring users and indeed "active users"
From: David Bentley
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:37:19 GMT

Great article.

SAR, though often thought to be a rag, has always made a point of printing
down-to-earth articles which are rather contentious and sometimes off the
mark. However I think this article reflects an important discussion point
which has been waiting in the wings for a while.

It would be fair to say that the perceived fortunes of many NASDAQ (and
those listed on other markets) based companies (and for that matter
companies who are in line for acquisition) are linked directly to the amount
of traffic and consumers that a site captures. This is due to fact that the
success of an online company is still, bar a few exceptions, based on future
potential for profitability as opposed to real operating profits. The
larger the customer and loyalty base the greater the opportunity for future
profitability and, as is becoming even more important these days, survival.
If a site is considered to have a large customer base then they are
attractive to investors etc.... But none of this is rocket science to this
list.

Obviously there is a world of difference in profit models between
"e-retailers" (please forgive me) like Amazon and content/community sites
like Six Degrees. However both need customers and their loyalty. Amazon to
show potential for profitability and Six Degrees to obtain higher revenues
for advertising etc. Is it any wonder that, in a world where even those who
measure sites traffic and statistics use competing systems and measurements,
sites try to "cook the books" a bit so that they can look more attractive to
investors or suitors?

What encourages me about an article on this topic, is the realization that
this gauge of success is starting to be questioned and the relative
inconsistencies of measurement are inevitably going to be rationalized.
Though there are obvious benefits to building a customer base and loyalty
(which as we all know is very difficult on the Internet) there has to come a
point when that loyalty has to be turned into profit for the shareholders
(that's me with my British "shareholder value" hat on).

Going hand in hand with this is the significant drop in share price of
AMAZON yesterday, when they announced that even though their sales had
increased and their losses (which I believe are expected to be in the region
of ($500m) for this financial) wouldn't increase - but they weren't
decreasing.

I suspect that "tomorrow" is finally around the corner for online businesses
and that 2000 will spell the beginning of harsh lessons to online companies
who are unable to show a trend towards profitability (in the US), whether
they be through sales models or through ad revenue, and who still sell
themselves on the "look how many more hits we got today as opposed to
yesterday". When many companies go for their next round of funding in the
Spring, we shall see a great deal of rationalization in this industry, and
that's not necessarily such a bad thing.

Well anyway - that's my story and I'm sticking too it!

David