Subject: Re: [uk-netmarketing] RE: The Rules
From: Sam Carrington
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:03:06 -0000

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Felix Velarde wrote:

> I would have thought that two compelling reasons not to use frames
> are firstly; that web users resize the font in their browser at some
> time or other. We all do, all the time, mainly because northern
> European design favours fonts we can't read, or a font has been
> specified that we don't have on our mac, PC, UNIX box, Linux box or
> other machine the developer didn't use. The consequence of resizing
> the text is that sometimes it will mean the visitor will have to
> scroll to read the (navigation/text or whatever) content of the
> frame, the graphic below the text, and so on.

IMHO any web designer who uses a platform specific or non-standard font in
the style sheet or font tag of their site is a muppet (and thats the
technical term for them as well)

> A further gremlin appears if you have switched off scrolling in the
> frame specification of the page, rendering parts of your frame hidden.

Any web designer with an ounce of ability will not let this happen either.

> Secondly, it is difficult to organise a frame-built site so that it
> can be indexed by search engines.

Difficult yes but not impossible. Its the type of skill which sets apart
the capable web designer/producer/developer from the muppets.

Don't get me wrong, I am far from being an advocate of the use of
frames. I just dislike seeing a technology being discounted for arbitrary
or irrelevant reasons. Yes frames do cause problems in some instances, but
a site without frames can also be beset with problems which will originate
from using production staff of an inadequate skill level.

TTFN

> At 12:15 am +0000 on 26/1/01, James Cridland wrote:
>
> >From: <leeatdjindex [dot] com>
> >because ALL sites have to comply to disabled access laws and, as explained,
> >frames are no good for the visually impaired.<<
> >
> >Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's not _frames_ which are no good, it's
> >the software that the visually-impaired browsers use, in this instance.
> >Ergo, if their software won't read out "I have found two frames - pagemenu
> >and pagecontent", then that's a software issue and not the problem of the
> >website author.

[Sam says: msg chopped]